What Should You Know About Mold on Your Children's Toys
Health & Beauty / /
Mold not only lurks on the walls in the house, but it can also be found on the rubber and plastic toys of your children.
Mold and different types of fungi can be found all around us, even if our houses is clean. It also includes small particles of mold that are filtered through our nostrils while breathing and also small quantities occasionally when eating. It is possible to get sick by the large amounts of toxic mold, but in principle we are protected pretty well by our immune system.
Is mold harmful for the children?
Rubber that is used in making the children's toys is soft and translucent and there is a huge possibility that the mold will accumulate on their surface. Children like to bite the toys, so it is no surprise that saliva can enter inside them, and out of it can easily be developed a mold. When children are squeezing the toys it is normal to be exposed to the fungus, however, those in small quantities are not dangerous for the children. Of course, there is always the possibility that a child will developed an allergy or immune deficiencies to the mold and in that case something like that can be harmful. Immunity to mold usually requires prolonged exposure of the substance in order to be developed, which means that the fungi that are found in toys are more potentially damaging for the parent than for the child up to two or three years. Anyway, if your child often has a cold or sinus infection it might be a sign that it still has some allergies, meaning that you should visit a doctor.
How to fight mold?
No parent wants his children to play with toys that have unusual smell or strange color. But the solution is not to throw them away. These toys should be regularly washed and cleaned, just as the living surrounding. After they are washed with soap, detergent and warm water, leave them to dry well so that the fungus would not be attached again. The same goes for toys in the bath or shower and for the dog toys. There are dog toys that serve to hold the food. Carefully rinse them and make sure that there are no remains of dog food on which the mold colonies will continue to exist.
The way you watch after the health of your children, should be the same way you watch after their best friends- the toys!