DIY: Paper Lanterns
Do it yourself / /
Decorating the Christmas tree is always a special ritual during the advent season. We should admit that mass-produced tree decorations are not something that will give the special touch to your tree as much as unique hand-made lanterns can. Therefore, we will provoke your inspiration by presenting this lovely paper lanterns that can be made, both from an old damaged book as well as beautiful new art papers.
To make these ornaments you don’t need to be extra skilled, neither to spend a whole day cutting paper. All you would need is:
• Paper - pages from old books as well as art paper
• Paper towel tube to use as a form
• Scissors or scalpel
• Paper glue
Here is the procedure by steps:
1. Start by cutting the paper in rectangle shapes with dimensions 5”x7” for the inner layer and 6.5”x7” for the outer layer of the ornament.
2. Shape and glue the inner layer to the paper towel tube with the 5”x7” piece of paper.
3. Cut stripes in the paper you want to use as the outer layer. Don’t cut the 5” at the top and the bottom. You can do it by folding the paper in the middle and cut with scissors. If you are using scalpel instead, you can chose not to fold it at all. Glue the uncutted top and bottom of the outer layer to the inner layer.
4. Let it dry and remove the paper towel tube.
5. Cut out a stripe and made it a handle that you glue to the inside of the lantern.
6. If you wish you can upgrade them to the next level by adding a battery candle inside or hang them on a string light. Avoid using live candles since they are not friendly to paper.
Source: sweet paul