Interesting Gucci facts
Fashion / /
With the coming of Alessandro Michele on the head of Gucci's creative board, the brand instantly reinstated their position as one of the most desirable fashion houses. We bring you some interesting facts about the 'rise and shine' of Gucci.
1. The double G logo is actually the name of the creator of the brand, Guccio Gucci. He started as a luggage crafter.
2. Gucci was passionate about horse races which brings us to the bags and belts design that looks like horse stirrup.
3. The first Gucci store was opened in 1953 and it was the first store for leather accessories.
4. Gucci was one of the favorite brands of the late princess Grace Kelly.
5. The famous Gucci loafers were created in 1932.
6. The leather was swapped for cotton fabrics during II World War. That is the same period when the brand started using the red and green lining in their logo.
7. Over the years Gucci worked with a numerous automobile brands. In the early 1970s the famous Gucci striped were part of the top of the luxury sports car AMC Hornet.
8. In the period between 1994 and 2005 Tom Ford was the creative director of Gucci. After his departure, Frida Gianinni was the creative director. Alesandro Michele is the creative director of Gucci since 2015.
9. In 1998 a pair of Gucci jeans broke the Guinness World Record. They were sold for $3134.
10. These days Gucci is under Kering group along with Bottega Veneta, Saint Laurent, Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen.
11. Gucci has worked with number of street artists through the years. Last collaboration was with Trouble Andrew who made the graffiti part of Gucci bags for next fall 2016 collection.
12. Gucci opened their own museum in Florence, Italy, the city where the story began. It shows the evolution of the brand in the last 90 years.